1. We stayed in David Max’s partially refurbished mansion
David bought the place last year and is well on the way to transforming it into a swish country residence.. so we were indoor camping.
2. Andy cooked breakfast in the dining room next to a computer
The kitchen was a bit of a building site, so this second-hand electric cooker next door was sharing a corner with the desk.
3. Our task was digging-up trees in David’s “garden”
Yes, you heard it right. Not cutting them down, and not planting new ones (although we did replant the ones we dug up). The previous owner had planted several hundred trees on the fen, but if left to grow then they would gradually transform it from valuable wetland into less valuable woodland.
4. The weather was lovely on the Saturday
Just look at the pretty countryside in the sunshine.
5. The weather was even lovelier on the Sunday
It was positively warm for our coastal jaunt to Wells-next-the-Sea, in spite of a brisk breeze.
6. OCV were in a woodland and didn’t cut any of the trees down
It’s certainly never happened to me before and it did feel a bit odd.
7. Sunday lunch was fish and chips
They were from a chip shop that was a runner-up in a national competition. Whilst we sat on a wall eating them, we watched a cormorant catching, wrestling with, and eventually swallowing a fairly large fish.